I love a hearty plate of spaghetti. Unfortunately so many commercial spaghetti sauces are loaded with sodium. Even many recipes for homemade spaghetti sauce call for massive amounts of salt, and this is on top of ingredients that may already contain sodium. But we have a great alternative to getting flavor without all the sodium – red wine vinegar.
This recipe for low sodium spaghetti sauce is one of my favorites and is very easy to make. I love to use a nice lean ground beef for the meat but you can certainly make this without meat of you choose to do so. 1 lb of extra lean ground beef is the perfect amount. A good 90/10 or 93/7 mix is perfect without adding a lot or fat. As always, be sure to drain any fat off after cooking the ground beef in a pan.
For extra flavor we’ll use a ½ of chopped onion, 3 cloves of fresh minced garlic and 1 tablespoon of fresh oregano, in addition to some dry Italian seasoning. By using the fresh onion, garlic and oregano, the flavors become very prominent and make up for the lack of sodium.
The ingredients are all easy to find at most supermarkets. One thing to note regarding tomato paste – regular tomato paste and no-salt added tomato paste are the same thing. Tomato paste naturally is very low in sodium. If you can’t find the no-salt added version, just look at the sodium content on a regular can of tomato paste. It should be 15-20mg per serving.Print
Meat sauce for spaghetti that’s full of flavor and very low on sodium.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 28oz can of no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 14oz can no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1 6oz can of no-salt added tomato paste
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (salt free)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Add onion, garlic and ground beef to a pan over medium heat. Stir and brown meat for about 5 minutes.
- After ground beef is cooked and fat drained, add all remaining ingredients to pan and stir over low/medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over cooked pasta
Approximately 120mg Sodium per ½ cup serving
- Sodium: 120mg