This delicious low sodium turkey chili recipe is ready to enjoy in less than 1 hour using your Instant Pot. It’s the perfect way to make vibrant, delicious chili without all the added sodium!
The Instant Pot craze is in full swing and for good reason, you can really make some amazing meals! Pressure cookers have been along for ages but this one has entered the 21st century as the new big thing. I’ve been enjoying it making dozens of meals which have been great. I particularly love it for making chili. The pressure cooking infuses all the flavors so well. So instead of waiting all day for slow cooker chili, I can have this chili in the bowl ready to enjoy in very little time.
Regular chili recipes are generally a sodium nightmare. I won’t even get into the details of restaurant chili, but needless to say, they can be the worst with sodium content sometimes being over 1000mg per bowl. I think that’s totally unacceptable for anyone on any diet, but for someone on a low sodium diet, it’s not even in the realm of possibility. Many homemade chili recipes often have a lot of sodium as well. Even if you’re not directly adding salt, many of the ingredients can have unfortunate amounts. Even those “lower sodium” ingredients need to be looked at closely. But here’s the thing, with a little attention to detail, we can get ingredients that have very little sodium or just trace amounts, and combine them for a delicious meal which will not blow out your daily sodium intake. Ingredients such an “no salt added” beans, “no salt” chicken stock, “no salt added” tomato ingredients and more. Plus, we’ll be using ground turkey for the meat. Now turkey has naturally occurring sodium, but it’s still an excellent alternative for a low sodium recipe such as this.
Now of course, we’re looking for an easy recipe so the only ingredients we’ll have to prepare are the onion and peppers. Once we dice them up, the hard part is done. And the beauty of the Instant Pot is that we can brown the meat right in the pot without having to use the stovetop or any other dishes. A few minutes on saute setting then all the ingredients dumped right in, and the pressure cooker does the rest. 40 minutes of cooking, about 15 minutes for pressure release and you’ll be ready to eat in about an hour.
You’ll get about 6 one-cup servings and your total sodium will be approximately 115mg per serving. Special to note: most commercial chili powder contains some salt. If you chose a no-salt chili powder you can cut the sodium down to around 65mg per servings.
- 1lb ground turkey
- 1 can (15oz) No Salt Added Pinto Beans, drained
- 1 can (10oz) No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- 1 can (8oz) No Salt Added Tomato Sauce
- 1 packet (1.2oz) Herb-Ox Sodium Free Chicken Bouillon
- ½ cup water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Set Instant Pot to “saute” and when hot add ground turkey, brown for 3-5 minutes.
- Add onions and diced peppers and continue to saute for 3 more minutes.
- Press cancel. Mix packet of chicken bouillon with ½ cup water and add to pot. Add chili powder and pepper, mix well. Add diced tomatoes, drained can of beans and gently mix.
- Secure lid, close vent and set to “chili” for 40 minutes. Let pressure naturally release (NPR). Remove lid and mix well before serving.