This low-sodium vegetarian chili is loaded with delicious, vibrant fresh ingredients for a hearty meal you will love. The natural flavors of all the ingredients combine to create a chili experience you will love, without all the added sodium.
- ½ cup fresh, or frozen corn kernels (thawed according to package directions)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium poblano pepper, diced
- 1 medium stalk of celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- ½ cup diced orange, red, or yellow bell pepper
- 1 small or medium jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, and diced
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (no-salt)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (15 oz.) can no-salt added diced tomatoes, or 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, diced
- 1 (15oz.) can no-salt added black beans
- 3 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup red or white quinoa, very well rinsed
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat until hot. Add in the corn, and let sit undisturbed for 1-2 minutes, or until lightly charred. Flip, and repeat. Reserve corn.
- Preheat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until it shimmers. Add in the onion, poblano, celery, carrot, and jalapeno. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook until vegetables are softened, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Stir for 1 minute to bloom the spices.
- Add in the canned or fresh tomatoes, reserved corn, black beans, broth, and bay leaves.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Add in the quinoa, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Garnish with cilantro, onion, and jalapeno.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American