This delicious Mexican Chili recipe is low in sodium in high in taste. Similar recipes for chili can often be very high in sodium from many different sources. This recipe is going to use fresh ingredients and low sodium/no salt added ingredients to make a hearty delicious dish.
We’ll use the slow cooker for this one and a mixture of fresh and canned ingredients. Cumin is a spice that is very common in Mexican dishes and is what gives it that authentic south of the border taste. Chili powder, onion powder, fresh garlic, onion, oregano and low-sodium beef broth will work with the cumin to provide bold and spicy flavors. For fresh ingredients we’re going to dice a fresh tomato and cut the kernels off of an ear of corn. Although no-salt added corn and tomatoes are available, since fresh tomatoes and corn are so readily available, it’s always best to fresh when you can. For the bean we’ll go ahead and find wither no-salt black beans or no-salt kidney beans – whichever you prefer. Black beans are most common in Mexican chili so if you can find the no-salt canned version, give it a try. Some fresh cilantro and a diced green pepper will add the final touches.Print
The combination of pantry items and fresh from the produce aisle/garden/farmers market ingredients makes this flavorful chili both incredibly convenient, beautiful and low in sodium
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons Low Sodium Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup unsalted beef broth
- ½ cup brewed coffee
- 2 (15 oz.) cans no-salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large diced red, yellow, orange, or green bell pepper (Or, a combination of a variety of colors that equals 1 ¼ cups of diced pepper.)
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 can no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup whole grape tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder (no-salt)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Sauté the beef in a large frying pan over medium heat, breaking into small pieces. Season with black pepper.
- When the meat is browned and fully cooked, pour off all but approximately 2 teaspoons grease. Add the Low Sodium Taco Seasoning, and stir for 1 minute.
- Pour in the broth and coffee, and deglaze the pan, making sure to stir up all of the browned bits from the bottom.
- Place the black beans, bell pepper, onion, canned diced tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, and oregano in the bottom of a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- Spoon the seasoned meat and broth over the vegetables.
- Stir well, and add in the cumin, chili powder, oregano, and bay leaf.
- Cover, and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours, or until the vegetables are softened.
- Garnish with cilantro and finely diced red or white onion.