This hearty stew is loaded with fresh chicken, delicious red lentils, veggies and the perfect combination of herbs and spices to bring out maximum flavor, all while remaining low-sodium.
- 1 large (8-12oz.) chicken breast, cut into 1” chunks
- 1/2 cup split red lentils
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 3 cups no-salt added chicken broth
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbs fresh grated ginger
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a medium Dutch oven, over medium heat.
- Add the paprika, pepper, cumin and cinnamon to the pot. Stir for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the cut chicken and sauté in the spices and oil, turning frequently (about 1-2 minutes, until chicken is white on all sides and even browned a little).
- Add the grated ginger, and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the celery, carrots, onion and lemon zest to the pan. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, or until softened.
- Pour in the broth and lemon juice, and add the bay leaves to the pot.
- Bring to a light boil, and add the lentils.
- Keep uncovered and stir occasionally until the lentils are cooked through, and have broken down a bit to thicken the stew, approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and continue cooking until wilted (about 1-2 minutes)
- Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes before serving. Stew will continue to thicken.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Dinner