This classic beef stew uses all the ingredients you know and love, to create a savory, satisfying meal with only a fraction of the sodium.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. stew meat, cubed into approximately ¾-1 inch pieces
- 3 1/2 cups no-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 3 tablespoons no-salt added tomato paste
- 4 large celery stalks, cut into ½-inch pieces, leaves reserved
- 3 large carrots, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 3 small Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 bay leaves
- In a large plate or pie plate combine the flour, paprika, and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Dredge the meat through the flour mixture on all sides.
- Place the meat in the Dutch oven when the olive oil is hot, but not smoking.
- Working in batches if necessary, brown the meat for 3-5 minutes on all sides.
- When meat is browned, transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Once all of the meat is browned, deglaze the bottom of the Dutch oven (or pot) with the beef broth coffee and red wine vinegar, making sure to scrape up all of the browed bits. Bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Once the mixture simmers, add in the tomato paste and stir well to combine.
- Place the celery stalks, carrots, potatoes, onion, and bay leaves on top of the beef in the slow cooker.
- Now pour the liquid mixture over the meat and vegetables in the slow cooker, stirring well to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker, and cook the stew on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
- To serve, garnish with reserved celery leaves.
Approximate sodium content: 171mg per serving
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 480 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American